Transform WG Section 18 Approval for Cotton
Transform, a new insecticide containing the active ingredient sulfoxaflor, has received an emergency use exemption for SOME parishes in Louisiana for the control of tarnished plant bug in cotton. This product represents a new mode of action and has excellent activity on tarnished plant bug. It also provides excellent control of cotton aphids, but this pest is NOT included on the Section 18 label. Typical application rates will range from 1.5 – 2.0 oz of Transform WG per acre. There is a substantial limitation on the Section 18 label … a 360 day plant back restriction for all crops except cotton. It is likely that this restriction would be lifted if a full label is granted later this year, as expected. However, there is no guarantee that a full label will be granted prior to 2013. Strongly consider using this product only in fields where cotton will be grown year! The details quoted below are directly from the Section 18 label.
This Section 18 only applies to the following parishes in Louisiana: Avoyelles, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Concordia, DeSoto, East Carroll, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, LaSalle, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, Red River, Richland, St. Landry, Tensas and West Carroll.
- This Specific Exemption is effective June 24, 2012 through September 30, 2012.
- The labeling must be in the possession of the user at the time of application.
- Read the label affixed to the container for Transform WG insecticide before applying. Carefully follow all precautionary statements and applicable use directions.
- Use of Transform WG according to this supplemental labeling is subject to all use precautions and limitations imposed by the label affixed to the container for Transform WG.
Rotational Crop Restrictions: The following rotational crops may be planted at intervals defined below following the final application of Transform WG at specified rates for a registered use. Crop Re-Planting Interval:
- Cotton – no restrictions
- All other food and feed crops – 360 days
Application Restrictions and Rates: This product cannot be used without a valid state-specific Section 18 label. The label must be in the possession of the user at the time of application. The Section 18 label can be obtained from state and/or county authorities where it is valid.
- Do not apply within 14 days of harvest
- Do not make applications less than 5 days apart
- Do not make more than two applications per acre per crop
- Do not make more than one application in pre-bloom cotton
- Return any unopened, unused container of this unregistered product to the manufacturer or distributor, or dispose of it in accordance with Resource Conservation and Recovery Act regulations following the expiration of the emergency exemption
- Transform WG may only be used on Louisiana cotton acres that have been previously treated with two consecutive applications of recommended registered insecticides and tarnished plant bug infestations in the insecticide-treated field has exceeded the treatment action threshold for this pest.
Environmental Hazards: Transform is highly toxic to bee. In order to protect managed bees, also native pollinators in the treatment area, avoid making application under conditions where uniform coverage cannot be obtained or where excessive drift may occur. Morning or late afternoon applications should be encouraged. The LDAF shall notify commercial beekeepers in the treatment area in connection with this program.